Most men in their teen years were told very little about shaving. Once they started growing facial hair their father would simply say, "go with the grain". Whether you're a daily shaver or a weekly shaver, there is a lot more you could be doing to improve your shave.
5 Steps on How to Upgrade your old Shaving Habits:
1. Rinse your face with warm water so the hair or stubble on your face softens. A lot of men want the quickest shave possible so they will rinse with whatever water comes out of the faucet first (cold water). Rinsing with cold water will stiffen the hairs and close your pores. Using a hot towel or steaming up the bathroom so your pores are open is the first step to a perfect shave.
"You always want to prepare using either a hot towel or a steam room," says master barber Steve Gonzalez at the Art of Shaving in Los Angeles.
2. Moisturize your skin before shaving. This is one of the most important steps of shaving! Use a pre-shave lube or oil on your beard or stubble and leave it for a few minutes so it can soak in. If you purchase a quality beard oil or pre-shave lubricant it won't leave a sticky residue on your face.
Avoid using canned foam, men need something to sustain their skin rather than something that is cheap and drying.
3. Shave with the grain not against it! Men, always shave with the grain if you want to avoid razor-burn, ingrown hairs, and irritation. If you are uncertain as to which way your hair grows, run your hand over your stubble. It will feel less prickly when you are going with the grain.
4. Less pressure the better. When it comes to shaving the skin on your face, the less pressure you apply the more even the surface of your skin is. Invest in a heavy weighted handle razor for a balanced shave and no nicks.
For a safer and closer shave every day, swap out your blades often.
5. Lastly, rinse face with lukewarm water and pat dry. Using a clear shaving gel or cream is hard because you can't actually see if you missed anything. Applying a shave oil for a quick post-shave to make sure you get all the hairs under your chin, around your nose, and around your mouth is crucial for an all around healthy shave!